Saturday, May 27, 2017

Today's Garage Sale Finds

I'm going to do something I haven't done in a while (since 2014 as it turns out!) and return to the roots of this blog which is, after all, garage saling.

Memorial Day weekend is traditionally the kickoff to Summer and with it the garage sale season, although I've already been out looking several weeks now.

It was a beautiful start to the day with temperatures in the low 70's and a blue sky overhead.  My wife and I didn't get an early start, but we were out before 9.  There weren't any spectacular finds today, but a couple of cool items were purchased (along with a few I had to pass up).  Here's a sampling of what we found.

First up was this 15-volume set of the Time-Life "Old West" series of books from the 1970's. My brother always wanted this set, but they were out of our economic reach.  They originally sold for $12.95 each (plus shipping and handling).  These days, $5 takes all.



I couldn't resist them. After all, who doesn't want to meet John Wesley Hardin, a man so mean he once shot a man just for snoring.


Next up is a "Superman The Movie" VHS tape.  Yes, I still have a VCR. No, I probably won't be watching this on it; I have it on DVD and .mp4.  "Superman The Movie" is one of my favorite childhood movies. While most kids of my generation were "Star Wars" fanatics, "Superman" was more to my taste, being a huge comic book nerd fan. I had to pick this up just for the nostalgia (and it was only 25 cents. C'mon!)


A Halloween throw rug.  It's not old, but I have a hard time passing up anything Halloween related. 50 cents.


Goosebumps: "Welcome to Dead House". I picked this up for my youngest son who is a Goosebumps fan. I wish they'd had these books when I was a kid.


A Victor phonograph album from 1918 with original 78's. 25 cents. I'll play these on either my Singerphone or my Æolian-Vocalion.




A few of the 78s.  I haven't listened to them yet, but the songs are available on Youtube.

Kreisler Serenade


"Won't You Come Over to My House" Ford and Glenn

I couldn't find this exact record, but here's another version.


"School Day Sweethearts" Ford and Glenn 
Again, couldn't find this exact recording.


"Will the Circle Be Unbroken" Frank and James McCravy

I couldn't find an original version of this.

"When You and I were Young, Maggie" Frank and James McCravy
Again, different version.



I also picked up some newer (relatively speaking) albums for 25 cents each.





And finally, what I think is the pick of the day, is this vintage 1940's Nesco roaster. $20, talked down from $25.


At first I thought she was holding a pie, but I think it's a stylized turkey


It still has the original side pots inside along with the rack and cord.


Oh, and I mentioned some finds I had to pass up. Actually, it was just one really cool find.  A vintage KampKook camping stove, similar to this one.


It was in excellent condition.  They wanted $40 which about twice what I wanted to pay for it.

2 comments:

  1. love the jerry reed album! what the heck are you going to do with that ginormous roaster??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >what the heck are you going to do with that ginormous roaster??
      They're great for keeping things warm at family gatherings.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...