Thursday, January 26, 2017

She Turned the World on with Her Smile



I was only 3 when this show premiered, but I remember watching it in the early '70's and recognizing there was something different about the character Mary played.  She had a job.  My mother was a housewife and never had a job, so this was a new concept to me. Also, since she wasn't married, as a child, I thought she was maybe 20 years old and just starting out, much like my older sister whom for the same reason I equated her character to. She was 33 when the show premiered.  Single at 33 and a working woman. Odd that that was so foreign in 1970. She's also probably a large reason it no longer is.

RIP MTM.

3 comments:

  1. She showed many young women and girls they could make it, after all. She was funny, to boot. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed. how i adored that show, and also the Dick Van Dyke show. i loved her energy, and her smile, and how incredibly funny she was. she was one of those rare stars who, looking back, had a life with no scandals to speak of, and everyone who knew her had nothing but praise for her. it took me ages to realize that the MTM in the MTM kitten sign-off was HER initials, her production company. duh. she was a force, and she's missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I knew MTM was her (probably because my mom told me), but I didn't make the connection that the kitten was a parody of the MGM lion until I was older.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...