Sunday, October 18, 2015

What was on TV October 18th through 24th, 1997

When it comes to the word "vintage", I'll admit I'm a bit of a snob.  To me, vintage is 1980's and prior.  So when I found this TV Guide from 1997 mixed among my other "classics", I snubbed it. Heck, I even sneered at it.  1997?  Why, I'd already been married 5 years when you came out!  You're nothing but a punk! But then I realized, it's been almost 20 years since this issue came out.  In fact, babies born when this issue came out are graduating high school this year.  My own son was born mere months after this issue debuted.  How did that happen?  I can't even remember what I did in the past 20 years. It almost makes you nostalgic for those years.  When did the '90's go all "misty-water-colored-memories" on us?  I guess it was inevitable.  So October 18th through the 24th TV Guide, go ahead, show your stuff.  You deserve it.

By the mid 1990's, I'd pretty much stopped watching network television.  Being one of the earliest subscribers to The Dish Network, I had lost access to ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and Fox.  In those days, the over-the-air networks wouldn't allow satellites to broadcast their programs.  It just struck me that my grandfather would tell stories of how bad the depression was when he couldn't find work and would subsist on grease sandwiches.  I reminisce and lament on how I didn't have network TV for *several* years!  I'm going to have some great stories for the grandkids!



I used to love these guides to Halloween shows.  Anyone know of a definitive list on the internet for all Halloween shows this season?

I've never heard of Stephen King's "Trucks" but it struck me as a very similar to "Maximum Overdrive". Apparently, they were both based on the same short story by King.






My two oldest loved "Bear in the Big Blue House" when they were little.  We watched it every day. Sometimes I force them to re-watch an episode with me. And I cry.  "Goodbye, goodbye, good friends goodbye..."

Did anyone ever actually use VCR Plus+?  And why the spelled-out and symbolic plus/+?  Is it VCR Plus Plus?

I've included the Saturday line-up here as is my tradition.  But this morning in no way resembles the one I grew up and looks very foreign to me.

Weird Al Yankovic had a children's show?  I completely missed that one.







Chuck Norris is so tough, he doesn't need to kick you in the pants.  You'll kick yourself in the pants running away from him.


You know work's been dry when they still refer to you as "The Love Boat's Bernie Kopell and Ted Lange" in 1997.


1 comment:

  1. Always fun. My kids loved Bear in the Big Blue House, too. Fun show. The newer, bigger TV Guide just isn't the same as the old. The minimal daily listings lose the in depth, hour-by-hour stuff that you could read through. Future adults probably won't be posting many of these with the newer format.

    As for places to see what Halloween special and movies are airing, one I have bookmarked and check almost every day is at TV Tango:

    http://www.tvtango.com/news/detail/id/634/halloween-on-tv-138-halloween-themed-movie-marathons-episodes-and-specials-on-tv-in-october-2015

    It is updated often and a great resource. Here's another site:

    http://www.channelguidemagblog.com/index.php/2015/09/30/halloween-tv-programming-2015/

    I check this one all throughout the year. It is Horror movies airing during the week. Not definitive, but pretty good:

    http://horror.about.com/od/horrormoviesontv/a/horrorontv.htm

    And last, Locate TV lets you put in specific movies or shows, even specific episodes of show, and the weekly personal schedule alerts you to when the ones you have specified are airing. I love it. You can find it here:

    http://www.locatetv.com/tv-shows

    Did I mention I love TV? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...