Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Weeki Wachee Springs

For those of you suffering the wrath of this latest winter storm, I thought you might enjoy some Florida Sunshine (and mermaids) to warm you up.

Weeki Wachee is a natural spring in Florida that  was converted to a tourist attraction in 1947.  When Newt Perry, an underwater filming location consultant for Hollywood films including the Johnny Weismuller "Tarzan" series as well as "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" films, first scouted the springs as a potential business development, they had become a  dumping ground for old appliances.  After cleaning the spring out, developing an underwater air hose breathing system and recruiting some of the local girls to play mermaids, Weeki Wachee opened and soon became one of the country's top tourist attractions.





The Mermaid disguised as a "Nutty Professor" looks more like Uncle Sam.




The ABC television network purchased Weeki Wachee in 1959 and built a larger theater situated 16 feet below surface level of the spring.  In 2008, Weeki Wachee was made an official Florida State Park.

5 comments:

  1. i've always wanted to check out Weeki Wachi, and also the "witch" town... Cassadega? something like that. so florida's got TWO things going for it in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casadaga? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassadaga,_Florida. I don't think I've heard of that before.

      Delete
    2. that's the place! gotta be touristy on the level of Weeki Wachi, don'tcha think??

      Delete
  2. Wow - I remember seeing pamphlets for this attraction all over Florida when I was a kid. We went to Silver Springs instead with the glass bottom boats. Got any old amusement parks???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have a few. Definitely Disneyland/Disney World, but probably not what you're looking for. I know I have one of Long Beach amusement park from the 30's or 40's somewhere. When I come across them, I'll definitely post them.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...