Saturday, May 17, 2014

Sunburst Clock

I have a habit of rotating things out of my collection when I find the next version of the object.  For example, coffee pots come and go as do toasters.  

A while back I found this mid century sunburst clock at an estate sale. It was pretty dirty and I made my best effort to restore it.

Last week, I came across another mid century starburst clock.  This one was labeled $5 "as is".





I'm not sure what was stuck on the face leaving the green fuzzy felt residue behind, but obviously that was the reason it was marked "as is".


I took the face off and let it soak in hot, soapy water.  While it was off, I discovered the rather yellowed looking brass spires were actually covered with the original plastic protective coating.


I peeled them off revealing brilliant, shiny spires underneath.

After soaking for about 15 minutes, and with a little light scrubbing, the green felt peeled off leaving behind the original painted black surface.  There was some damage to the paint, but not bad.  I may touch it up eventually.


The clock work is battery-powered electric.  I'm not sure if it's original to the clock, but given there's no key hole on the face, at most it was corded electric.   **Update**.  It just struck me looking through these pictures that the brown under-face in the pictures above actually has a secondary hole below the center hole.  It's possible this is a replacement face and the original face would have had a matching keyhole.  That would explain why there's no manufacturer's name on the face of the clock.


I think it turned out pretty nice.


4 comments:

  1. Very nice! How weird that all the years it was owned by someone else, it was still covered with the plastic covering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Joe. It's possible they never knew the covering was there. I didn't notice it until I pulled the face and saw the pull tabs on the plastic.

      Delete
  2. i agree with Caffeinated Joe -- it's like the starburst clock equivalent of plastic couch covers, i guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That was my exact thought too! Or the modern equivalent of leaving the plastic film that comes on various electronics.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...