Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas - Now with Brownulation

I'm heading out of town for a quick get-a-way this weekend, so I'll leave you with some ads from the December 1966 edition of Family Circle.




I ate these things like candy when I was a kid.  I can still taste their orange flavor.  I'm surprised I never had renal failure.



General Electric sponsored the television broadcast of Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer for several years and Rudolph and friends returned the favor in ads for GE's products.  I just realized I own that percolator in the upper left corner.  I bought it at an estate sale this past Fall after I broke the crystal on my Hoover.


At first I thought this was Morris.  But he was spokescat for 9 Lives and didn't come around until 1968.

I rarely sat on the couch as a kid.  Always sat or laid on our green patterned carpet floor.  We have hardwood floors, so my kids never lay on them.  I think they're missing out.






Food poisoning has a way of not letting you forget.






I was raised on margarine.  We never had real butter in our house.  When I got married, I vowed I'd never eat it again and I haven't.  It's been nothing but butter ever since.

Chef Ettore "Hector" Boiardi was a real person.  That's him in the ad.  He named his product "Boy-Ar-Dee" to help people pronounce his name.


I'll admit it: I put this ad in with the intent of grossing you out.

For "periodic" pain, wink wink.

That sounds like something bad: "Oh no, honey!  The sugar's brownulated! Now what am I going to do?"


At first I was thinking, how could you incorporate gum into Santa cookies?  The gum has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Odd.

He doesn't look like he wants you asking him anything.  Don't question his butchering knowledge.


We had onion dip once a year on New Year's Eve and it was always Lipton's onion soup mixed with sour cream.  To this day, I still prefer that to the pre-made onion dip you can buy.


With all of the smoking bans being enacted across the country, I believe bowling alleys are the last refuge of the smoker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...