Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Projection: Cloudy with a Chance of Ghosts

Happy Halloween, everyone.  In addition to my love for garage and estate sales, I also have a passion for Halloween.  Occasionally, the streams cross.  Such was the case last weekend. 

I had been looking for a new feature for my Halloween decorations and had come across these projectors from holidayprojector.com.  Essentially, they are rear-projection systems you can place in a window and gives the illusion of ghosts walking around in your house.  The kits cost $269, way more than I was willing to spend on a Halloween prop.

Coincidentally enough, I spied a similar projector in an ad for an estate sale in Des Peres, Missouri.  That's a little bit further than I usually drive, but I was hoping for a bargain.  As it turned out, they wanted $45 for it.  I checked ebay and found with shipping, the same projector costs between $25 and $30.  I told the person running the sale this and despite it being the first day of the sale, they dropped the price to $20 on the spot.






Having secured the projector, I ordered the Ghostly Appartions DVD from Atmosfear FX.  It was pretty pricey at $40, but since I'd gotten a deal on the projector, I justified it.

The next thing I needed was a screen.  The kit contained a sheet of mylar.  You can order them separately for $20 online, but I was short on time.  I tried a white bedsheet and worked fine (cost $10).

I hung the sheet in my sons' bedroom window in the front of our house and projected from their bunk beds.  There are options to project horizontal or vertical.  I chose vertical to fill up one side of the window, which is why the projector is on its side in the above pictures.

The effect is pretty good.  Here's a video I shot.  I don't have a great camera for low light, so it's a little blurry at times, but you get the idea.




It's premiering tonight.  Currently, it's pouring rain here in St. Louis.  Hopefully, it will let up for Trick or Treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...