Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Missing Piece

I bought this 50's Whitman Jr. Jigsaw Bowling puzzle for a quarter at a recent estate sale.



Of course, as is to be expected, it was missing a piece.  At least it didn't detract from the characters too much.


The other available puzzles appears on the side of the box.  Typical '50's fare, but I was surprised to see "Drag Racing". 

I don't think many '50's parents would condone their children building a puzzle of an amateur drag race down on Dead Man's Curve. I would guess this was a puzzle of a fully-sanctioned drag race at the local track.


I also wonder what "After Tennis" was.  I imagine it was a scene of a young man leaping the net after soundly trouncing his friend in a match.  If that puzzle was from the '70's, it would have had a whole different meaning.
 
I tried to find these puzzles on the internet and Whitman has an impressive and massive collection featuring some great licensed characters, but I couldn't find any examples of these.

By the way, this was my 100th post.  Hundreds more to go.

1 comment:

  1. 100 posts, whoo! congratulations!

    seems to me that "after tennis" would have two people, towels around their necks, enjoying lemonade or something equally wholesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...